Carrot & Banana Muffin
1 & 1/2 cup raisins
1 & 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or (3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour)
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas — 2 medium bananas
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots — 4 medium carrots
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 18 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water, let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Whisk flour, oat bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
4. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Add brown sugar and whisk until it has dissolved. Mix in bananas, milk, oil, and vanilla.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently stir in carrots and the drained raisins.
6. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts.
7. Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire cooling rack to cool slightly before serving.
Source : The Eating Well Diabetes Cookbook
Serving Size : 18
Preparation Time :0:40