Oatmeal Crisps with Chocolate
Cookies with golden, crispy bottoms and edges with a delicious mixed of orange and dark chocolate
- 2 1/4 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Position two oven rack, evenly spaced, in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a food processor, pulse the rolled oats ten times to slight break them up. Pour into a bowl and mix with the flour.
- In the bowl or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, until light and creaming. Add the egg and beat until well blended, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. On a low speed, add the orange zest and salt, beat until combined, and then slowly add the oat mixture and beat just until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Drop 1 tablespoon size balls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, placing about eight cookies, evenly spaced, on each sheet. Lightly flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies for about 15 minutes, until the edges turn lightly golden, switching the baking sheets between the racks halfway through the baking time. Transfer the baking sheets to the wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer the cookies to the racks and let cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough, shaping, baking and cooling the cookies the same way.
- When all of the cookies have cooled, place the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over (not touching) gently simmering water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring often, until melted. Remove from heat.
- Dip one edge, about 1/2 inch wide, of each cookie into the melted chocolate and return the cookie to the rack. Let the cookie stand for about 30 minutes, until the chocolate is fully set, before serving.
Source: Holiday Cookies by Elisabet der Nederlanden- Oatmeal Crisps with Chocolate