- 6 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 11/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 11/2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice (about 9 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 6-ounce package baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Bring 6 cups broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Add shrimp. Turn off heat, cover, and let stand until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to small bowl; cover with foil to keep warm. Cover broth to keep warm.
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir 1 minute. Add rice and stir until edge of rice is translucent but center is still opaque, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until wine is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup chicken broth. Simmer until almost all broth is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Continue to add broth, 3/4 cup at a time, until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, stirring often and allowing almost all broth to be absorbed after each addition, about 25 minutes total. During last 5 minutes, add spinach in 4 batches, stirring and allowing spinach to wilt after each addition. Mix in shrimp, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and basil. Season risotto to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon risotto into shallow bowls and serve, passing additional cheese separately.