Toasted brioche buns are piled high with succulent shrimp and crisp celery slaw in this riff on a classic shrimp roll. Melted butter, chile crisp, and tangy rice vinegar coat the shrimp in color and flavor. A simple shaved cucumber salad rounds out the plate and offers a cooling finish.
- 1 small bunch scallions
- 1 medium celery stalk with leaves, stalk very thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup) and leaves reserved
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw jumbo shrimp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus a pinch of kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 3 1/2 tablespoons spicy chile crisp (such as Lao Gan Ma; see Note)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime), divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger (from 1 [1-inch] piece), divided
- 1 large (about 14-ounce) English cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 top-split brioche hot dog buns, toasted
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cut scallions in half crosswise, separating dark green parts from white and light green parts. Slice white and light green parts crosswise; set aside. Slice dark green parts lengthwise on an angle into very thin strips to equal about 1/2 cup; place in a small bowl, and add celery, celery leaves, and cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high until melted and just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and 3/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until shrimp are pink in spots but still translucent in center, about 2 minutes. Add reserved white and light green parts of scallions, chile crisp, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, lime zest, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1 teaspoon ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are cooked through and coated with sauce, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted.
- Toss together celery mixture, 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar, a pinch of salt, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon ginger.
- Toss together cucumber, oil, remaining 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until combined. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide shrimp mixture evenly among 4 buns. Spoon any remaining chile crisp sauce in skillet over shrimp. Top evenly with celery mixture, drizzling any remaining juices over each roll. Serve with cucumber salad and lime wedges.