Double Dip Chocolate Slices
These chocolate dipped cookies are made colorful and tasty by dipping into a variety of melted candy coating.
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
3 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted, cooled
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) package vanilla-flavored candy coating
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 to 8 drops green food color
12 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
2 tablespoons shortening
1. Combine sugar and butter in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg, milk and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring; continue beating until well mixed. Add melted chocolate; continue beating until well mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat at low speed until well mixed.
2. Divide dough in half; shape each half into 8×2-inch long log. Wrap each log in waxed paper or plastic food wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
3. Heat oven to 350°F.
4. Cut logs into 1/4-inch slices with sharp knife. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
5. Melt candy coating and 1 tablespoon shortening in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, 8-12 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in peppermint flavoring and food color. Tipping saucepan slightly, dip cookies halfway into melted coating. Lightly shake off excess coating. Place onto waxed paper. Let stand until coating is firm.
6. Melt 10 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate and remaining shortening in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Tipping saucepan slightly, dip cookies into melted chocolate, overlapping half of green coating. Lightly shake off excess chocolate. Place onto waxed paper.
7. Let stand at least 2 hours or until coating is firm. Store in single layer between sheets of waxed paper in loosely covered container in cool place.
Source: Land O’ Lakes Recipes Double Dip Chocolate Slices