- 1 pound fusilli (or similar) pasta
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (about 2 pints) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh packed basil leaves, roughly chopped or torn
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella pearls (alternatively, you can use an 8-oz ball of fresh mozzarella, diced)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes; do not burn.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to soften and burst, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, smash the tomatoes into a chunky sauce. Add the drained fusilli to the pan and toss to combine.
- Right before serving, toss in the basil and mozzarella pearls. (It’s important to do this at the last minute so the cheese doesn’t melt too much.)
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding the reserved pasta water little by little if the pasta seems dry. Spoon into bowls and serve.
Source: Once Upon a Chef – Fusilli alla Caprese