- 4 8- ounce skin off salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the salmon on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over high heat and wait a few minutes until it begins to lightly smoke.
- Add the salmon into the pan flesh side, not skin removed side, down in the pan.
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan and turn the heat down to medium-high and cook the salmon for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the salmon over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until the desired internal temperature is achieved.
- Remove the salmon from the pan and set it aside.
- Discard any oil if there seems to be too much in the pan. There should be a few tablespoons in it.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute over low to medium heat.
- Pour in the water, soy sauce, lemon juice, and honey and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until it has slightly thickened.
- Finish with pepper flakes and the remaining 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- Place the salmon back in the pan and glaze with the sauce in the pan.
- Garnish with optional finely sliced fresh chives.
- You can also grill the salmon instead of cooking in a pan over medium to high heat for 3-4 minutes per side and then make the sauce separate in a pan.
Source: Billy Parisi – Honey Garlic Salmon