- 8 ounces softened unsalted butter + 2 tablespoons
- ½ peeled and finely minced shallot
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pound U12 sea scallops, foot removed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment whip the together the 2 sticks of butter for 4-6 minutes on medium to high speed until it is light and fluffy.
- Next, add in the lemon juice and mix until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add in the garlic, shallot, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, chives, and salt and pepper until completely combined. Chill.
- Remove the foot of the scallops, pat dry with paper towels, and season the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a sauté pan over high heat until it begins to lightly smoke. Add in the scallops quickly and turn the heat down to medium-high.
- Immediately add in the 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to help brown and season the scallops
- Turn the scallops over after 1:30 to 2 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Cook the scallops for a further 30 to 45 seconds or until the desired internal temperature is achieved.
- Remove the scallops and deglaze with the white wine and cook until it is almost gone over medium heat, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the burner and add in 1/4 cup of the herb butter and whisk until melted. Reserve the remaining in the freezer for a later date!
- Also, try serving the scallops with a simple beurre blanc.
Source: Billy Parisi – Pan Seared Sea Scallops