Kale Pesto Pizza
You can serve these with carrot and celery sticks and a bit of light ranch dressing on the side for dipping.
- 3 cups of lacinato kale (about an 8 to 8 ounce bunch)
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and several turns of the pepper mill
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 6 ounces of gruyere or mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of lightly packed kale chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon or olive oil
- Four naan which can be made from this Homemade Naan Recipe
- Optional ½ to ⅔ cup sliced mushrooms; red pepper flakes
- Optional 1 to 2 cups of half cherry tomatoes
- For the Pesto
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add kale; cook 1 minute. Drain and plunge kale into ice water. Drain; squeeze excess liquid from kale.
- In a food processor, add the kale, nuts, Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse several times until the mixture is chopped but still chunky. Scrape down the sides and with the processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute; process until well blended. For the pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Spread an even layer of pesto across the surface of the dough. You will use roughly a quarter of the pesto.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Finally, in a small bowl, toss the 1 cup chopped kale with the 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Rub the oil into the kale so it’s lightly covered.
- Place the pizza in the oven, and bake until the crust is golden in spots, the cheese is melted, and the kale has a few crisp edges (about 9 minutes). Alternative Ingredients:
- If using mushrooms stir them in the kale and toss to lightly coat if using.
- If using tomatoes distribute evenly across the 4 pizza. Distribute the kale mixture evenly over the top of the pizza.
Source: Fountain Avenue Kitchen – Kale Pesto Pizza