Pan-Fried Fish Cakes and Romesco Sauce
Fish cakes and Romesco sauce is a winning combination. We’ve simplified this Catalan sauce, which typically includes roasted tomatoes, by swapping in sun-dried tomatoes. Tart, quick-pickled cucumbers and shallots add brightness and crunch.
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato (about 6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 to 12 ounces white fish, such as cod, lingcod, or rockfish
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small mini cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper
- 2 roasted tomatoes sun-dried tomatoes in oil (or 2 sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon roasted almonds
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg (use whole egg if doubling)
- 2 ½ ounces baby spinach, kale, or mixed salad greens
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the fish and simmer just until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off excess water and transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, combine sliced shallots, cucumber, ½ teaspoon each salt and sugar and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar. Let sit, stirring occasionally until ready to serve.
- In a mini chopper or blender, combine the roasted pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, almonds, and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar. Process until finely chopped. With the machine running, add 4 tablespoons of the oil and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coarsely mash the fish and potatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the 2 tablespoons beaten egg and 2 tablespoons of the panko and stir. Let sit 5 minutes for the mixture to set, then form into 4 (4-inch) cakes and coat with remaining panko.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the fish cakes and cook, turning once until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the shallots and cucumbers and fold in the greens. Serve fish cakes with salad and Romesco sauce alongside.
Source: Sitka Salmon Shares – Pan-Fried Fish Cakes and Romesco Sauce