Though we do these nacho without the chicken, they are still hearty and satisfying – try nachos for dinner!
Sauce with Chicken (if not using chicken do not add it
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon sauce from can
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, from 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 (13-oz) bag tortilla chips
- 7 cups (28 oz) shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallions, from 2 to 3 scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Make the Sauce: Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Do not brown; reduce the heat if necessary. Add the tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and sauce, sugar, cumin, oregano, and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and cilantro. Set aside.
- Make the Nachos:Preheat the oven to 425°F and set two racks in the center of the oven. Arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer, overlapping slightly, on two 13 x 18-inch baking sheets. Spread the chicken evenly over the chips, followed by the cheeses. Bake until the cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the nachos from the oven, then sprinkle with scallions and cilantro. Serve immediately, passing the guacamole, sour cream, and lime wedges separately..
Source: Jenn Segal Once Upon A Chef- Chicken Nachos