Rice with Puttanesca Sauce
This fresh, uncooked version of a classic pasta sauce is also delicious served over rice. The rich nutty flavor of brown rice stands up well to the piquant flavors of the sauce. If you prefer a cooked sauce, you can saute the garlic and tomatoes in the olive oil, then add the remaining ingredients except the rice and heat through.
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup black Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 4 to 6 cups hot cooked short- or long-grain brown or other rice
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic and oil. Add the basil, parsley, salt and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over the hot cooked rice.