Black Bean and Pepper Jack Burgers
These are one of the better bean burgers that I have eaten. They look like a hamburgers but taste like burrito.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 oz. finely grated pepper Jack cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 large scallion, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil; more for the plate
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Jarred chunky salsa (fresh, if possible), for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- 1.Put the oats in a food processor and pulse three times to roughly chop. Add half of the beans and pulse into a coarse paste, about 6 pulses. Add the egg, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt and process to mix well, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the remaining beans, the cheese, scallion, and cilantro.
- With wet hands, form the bean mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and transfer to a lightly oiled plate. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes to let the burgers set up.
- Heat a large heavy-duty skillet (preferably cast iron) on high heat until very hot; add the oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom. Cook the burgers until browned, with a good crust, 2 to 3 minutes; then carefully flip and cook, flipping again if necessary, until the burgers feel firm when pressed with a fingertip, another 3 to 5 minutes. 5.Serve the burgers in the buns, topped with the salsa and avocado.
Source: Fine Cooking – Black Bean and Pepper Jack Burgers – Fine Cooking June/July 2012, No. 117