Warm Black Bean & Chipotle Dip
This is a great party dip that can be fully assembled up to two days ahead. Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to bake.
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for the baking dish
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into medium dice
- 2 tsp. kosher salt; more as needed
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 15-1/2 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 canned chipotles en adobo, minced (about 1 Tbs.), plus 3 Tbs. adobo sauce
- 3 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (if frozen, thaw first)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Heat the oven to 425ºF. Grease a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish with oil and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Set the tomatoes in a colander over the sink and sprinkle with 1 tsp. of the salt.
- Heat the oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion, sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt, and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half of the black beans, the chipotles and adobo sauce, and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid reduces by about half, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a food processor, add the vinegar, and process until smooth. Let cool for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the beans, the tomatoes, corn, half of each of the cheeses, and 1/2 cup of the cilantro. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake on the foil-lined baking sheet (to catch drips) until the cheese melts and browns around the edges, about 15 minutes (longer if refrigerated). Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and serve with the tortilla chips for dipping.
Source: Fine Cooking – Warm Black Bean & Chipotle Dip – Fine Cooking Appetizers