Filled with eggs, cheese and fresh avocado salsa, these bodega-style breakfast burritos are delish any time of day!
- FOR THE AVOCADO-TOMATO SALSA
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup diced seeded tomatoes, from 1 to 2 tomatoes
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb spicy sausage (such as chorizo, Italian, or anything you like), removed from casings
- 1-1/3 cups (6 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 (10-in) burrito-size flour tortillas
- Olive oil
FOR THE BURRITOS
- Make the Avocado-Tomato Salsa: Place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the smoked paprika and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add a table spoon or two of olive oil. Reduce the heat to low. Add the eggs and scramble until just cooked through. Transfer the eggs to a plate. Clean the pan (you’ll use it again).
- Assemble the burritos: Spoon about 1/4 cup of the avocado-salsa onto each tortilla, a quarter of the eggs, and 1/3 cup cheese. Fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling and roll, tucking in the edges as you go.
- Lightly coat the pan with oil and set over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the burritos, seam side down. Cook, covered, until the bottom of the burritos are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the burritos over and continue cooking, covered, until golden, a few minutes more. Serve warm.
Source: Jenn Segal – Once Upon a Chef – Breakfast Burritos