Crab Toasts with Smashed Avocado and Bloody Mary Aïoli
A rich yet light crostini seafood as a starter to nibble on. The crab, avocado and mayonnaise mixtures can be made up to four hours before serving. Cover and refrigerate if assembled beforehand.
8 oz. jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
1-1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
3-1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Hass avocados (14 to 15 oz. total)
1/2 tsp. finely chopped red chile, such as Fresno; more for garnish, if you like
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 tsp. tomato paste
3/4 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tabasco; more to taste
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
24 thin slices baguette
1 clove garlic, halved
1 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
1. In a medium bowl, gently toss the crab with 1/2 tsp. of the lemon zest and 1-1/2 Tbs. of the lemon juice. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mash the avocado with another 1-1/2 Tbs. lemon juice and the chile; season well with salt and pepper.
3. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tomato paste, the remaining 1-1/2 tsp. lemon juice and 1 tsp. zest, the hot sauce, and Worcestershire. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Position an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on medium. Toast the baguette slices on a rimmed baking sheet, flipping once, until lightly charred. Rub each toast with the cut side of the garlic clove.
5. To serve, spread some mayonnaise on each toast. Top with the avocado mash and the crab. Sprinkle with the dill and more chile, if desired, and serve.
Source: Fine Cooking Crab Toasts with Smashed Avocado and Bloody Mary Aïoli