Slow-Roasted Tomato Crostini
The slow-roastedplum tomatoes combined with roasted garlic and kalamata olives brings out a flavor explosion. IF you don't have the mint or olives no problem, the tomamtoes and garlic are just wonderful by themselves.
- 6 medium plum tomatoes (1 lb), halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing
- 2 garlic bulbs chopped
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette or Italian bread
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh mint
- 8-12 Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold them in 1 layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper.
- the the top off the garlic bulbs, pour olive over them and wrapped in foil. add them next to the tomatoes.
- Roast in middle of oven until tomatoes are tender and skins are wrinkled, about 50 minutes hour. Then transfer tomatoes to a plate, ad cook the garlic another 10 minutes.
- While tomatoes are cooling, put bread slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly on both sides with additional oil. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Open the foil containing the roasted garlic bulbs and squeeze the garlic paste into a dish. Mash into a paste.
- Spread garlic paste on toasts, then top each toast with a tomato half, cut side up.
- Serve crostini topped with mint and olives.
The tomatoes and garlic can be roasted up to 2 hours ahead of time. Source: Epicurious – Slow-Roasted Tomato Crostini