Spice-Rubbed Tilapia with Tomatillo, Black Bean & Mango
A go to recipe for both the tilapia and salad. The combination together is excellent plus any left over tomatillo, black bean and mango salad can be a snack for later in the day. My recipe which is listed below differs from the source as I used half of the ingredients for the salad, though the entire mango. For the tilapia I used the only 3/4 a teaspoon of chili pepper but all of the other ingredients.
- 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed, about 8 ounces.
- 1/4 lb. tomatillos, papery covering discarded, fruit rinsed and small diced
- 1 ripe medium mango, peeled, pitted, and small diced
- 1/4 cup small-diced red onion (from about a quarter of a large onion)
- 1/6 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/6 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- 2 skinless tilapia fillets (about 4 oz. each)
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, tomatillos, mango, red onion, lime juice, 1/3 cup of the vegetable oil, cilantro, and a few grinds of black pepper; toss gently.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon black pepper with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Rub both sides of the tilapia fillets with the mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook two of the tilapia fillets until lightly browned and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the fillets to the platter, and spoon half of the salad on top. Serve with the remaining salad on the side.
Source: Fine Cooking – Spice-Rubbed Tilapia with Tomatillo, Black Bean & Mango Salad