Whipped Parsnips with Roasted Garlic
This fluffy puree makes a sumptuous side dish, as well as a creamy base on which to serve pan-seared salmon or scallops.
- 1 medium head of garlic
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut 1/4 inch off top of garlic. Discard top. Wrap head tightly in foil. Place on rack in oven; roast until garlic is tender, about 1 hour. Cool. Press garlic to release from skin. Transfer garlic to small bowl; mash.
- Cook parsnips in pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Return parsnips to pot. Add cream, butter, nutmeg, and mashed garlic. Beat with handheld electric mixer until smooth, thinning with some of reserved cooking liquid if mixture is too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Source: Epicurious – Whipped Parsnips with Roasted Garlic